Friday, March 2, 2012

Homemade Granola

I don't know why it never occurred to me to make my own granola, however last week we were over at a friend's house and she said that she had just run out of hers and she needed to make some more.  A light bulb went off... I could make granola.  I have been trying to use up items that we have in the house and for the Costco amounts of oatmeal I have been making oatmeal cookies which I like but the boys were not hip on.  I asked for her recipe but she has been making it for so long that she doesn't have a recipe and just adds stuff because she has a sense of the taste and amounts.  So I have been looking through a few recipes and I decided on combining a few...  Let me just say the house smells so yummy (between the granola and the puled pork for dinner - YUMO). 
So if you too purchase Costco style and have copious amounts of oatmeal laying around here is what I did and I will tweak it a little in the future but it was a good base to start with.  Plus it was a family affair.  I let the boys help and they thought that was the coolest thing.  I will admit that is not my style - I usually just like to get it done myself but I thought they might really enjoy it and it would be an opportunity for some bonding time.  Any way... here is what we used...

Kulow House Granola -
6 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/2 cup of golden flax seeds
2/3 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of packed dark brown sugar
2 tbs of water
2 tsp of vanilla extract

In a large bowl, toss oats, coconut and flax seeds.  In a saucepan over medium heat, cook oil, honey, brown sugar, water and vanilla until well fixed.  Pour over oat mixture and stir to coat evenly.  Pour into two greased 13"x9"x2" baking pans.  Bake at 275 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes .  Cool, stirring occasionally.  Store in an airtight container.

I think the next time we make it I might add some craisens or even dried apples.