Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Daily meaning

This might sound strange but today was a day where I felt like I had meaning. Let me back track a little... there are some days where at the end of it I seriously question myself, "What good did I do today?" Today was one of those days where when I asked myself that very powerful question - I felt like I had an answer! Most days I feel like I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off and don't ever do anything that makes an impact on anyone positively.
I think so often I get caught up in my little world that I forget that there are others on this same planet with me. Yes, I see them at the store or wave to them, but I never stop to talk or listen or encourage. I personally think that life is really nothing, if we do not take the time to connect with others... other moms, friends, or strangers.
Maybe that is a rather general statement so let me try to explain my day!
Today started like any other day, woke up a little late after a night of being awake with Ki. Rushed through getting both the boys fed. Got Zeke off to school, since today is Tuesday (Zeke is working on saying the days of the week!). As I was leaving the preschool parking lot I called up my best friend, Sarah, to check in with her and just chat. I chatted with her as I shopped for a few grocery items. I hung up my call with Sarah as I was getting in the line to pay and instead of being absent minded I chatted with the grocer. I could tell that she was happy I hung up my cell phone and acknowledged her. I asked her how her day was and she shared that she is not having a great day because she is a little stressed. I questioned her, not in a creepy way, but just a friendly banter. Come to find out she just got the job at the store and is in the middle of a divorce. I sincerely welcomed her to the store and thanked her for helping me. She smiled a huge smile and simply said, "You have made my day." I gathered my groceries and headed home.
I got home and picked up my house a little and then got a call from my neighbor. She sounded a little worried, she asked if I had anything going on this afternoon and I told her a had a few things, she asked if she could come over and talk - I said sure. I picked up Zeke from preschool and headed home to get lunches made and get ready for my neighbor to come over. My neighbor came over and vented. She shared some of her stresses as she is a brand new mommy with her return to work looming over her shoulder. We chatted and I shared with her some of my experiences but also just listened to her and then encouraged her to take one day at a time. As she was leaving she thanked me for listening and said, "I am so glad that you are my neighbor."
After she left I had a conference call for my Mothers & More chapter. The call was just a means of brainstorming ideas with chapters throughout the region. It was so nice to hear from other chapters that they are having some of the same struggles, also nice to hear some of their ideas to bettering the chapter.
So I think the bottom line is - CONNECTIONS! Life would be meaningless without reaching out to others and making connections!