Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years!

Yeah, we made it through 2011 and we are still alive and healthy and happy.  What more could a mom ask for?  Well... there is... Naw - I am just kidding!  
I was recounting the amount of times in the twenty nine years of my life I have actually seen in the new year and I think it was five.  Pretty sad, huh?  Well one of the times was last year as I sat in the hospital thinking I was going to have a baby and then things went wacky.  Then there was this year - Zeke and I stayed up until the clock said, "One two zero zero" and then we crashed.  Pretty sad that two of the five times was in the last year!  I was talking with my dad on New Year's Eve and he was asking me if I was going to stay up and ring in the new year and I simply said, "I am too old for that" to which his response was "you have always been to old for it then".  Yep, I am not a night person!
Every year people make new years resolutions and are always interested in what others committed.  Well, a few years ago I made a new years resolution that I have kept... To never make new years resolutions!  Simple yes - every day is new and every day there is a new challenge to take on and conquer, no need to wait for a whole new year.  So although I did not make a new years resolution there are a few things that I am going to try and be more purposeful about in the years to come.  It is my desire to take one room of the house once a month and deep clean it.  Not simply the cleaning aspect of it but down to making it a fresh space whether that be changing pictures in frames, moving furniture, or adding/taking away from the decor. 
I have found myself since becoming a mom of three finding less and less time to clean and although my house is not a sty it is lacking the sparkle that I devoted to it in previous years.  Part of it I realize is we are not home that often and when we are it is for lunch, nap and then dinner time.  Who really wants to spend nap time cleaning?!?  Another reason for it, is it just takes too much effort, with three I have to entertain them and try to clean so I have resorted to having them clean alongside me which really means more bodies in my way when all I really want to do is power through and get it done to get on with better things.  Christmas eve I actually spent the morning cleaning and it was glorious, Michael was home and was able to tend to Riah, Ki was sick so he was laying on the couch watching movies and Zeke of course was there on the couch too.  I spent like four hours and powered through the cleaning, I cleaned everything... bathrooms, kitchen, bedrooms, dusted, vacuumed, mopped and even cleaned the carpets in the lower living room (granted that was because Ki had thrown up but I still cleaned them).
So here is to a new year and to being more purposeful in my jobs as wife, mom, and housekeeper.