Thursday, December 31, 2009

Big Boys in Training

When we left San Diego Zeke would upon our request go to bed and lay down for his naps and bed time.  When we moved out here to CO, I became a stay at home mom, and felt like my job was to spend every minute with Zeke.  I would lay down with him for his nap time and I would read books until he fell asleep.  After three books if he had not fallen asleep I would lay next to him rubbing his back until dream land came.  When I found out I was pregnant with Ki I felt like I had to continue spending that special nap and bed time with Zeke because I didn't know what life would be like with two little ones. 
With all that said in the last two weeks I have been having both boys lay down on their own to take naps and go to bed.  It has been a little more of a struggle with Ki, however Zeke has taken to it really well.  We do lunch time around noon and after lunch Zeke can play for fifteen minutes and then he needs to go upstairs, go potty and then lay down on his bed.  I will give him a kiss and then he falls asleep on his own.  He has been taking two hour naps, which before I would only get an hour if I was lucky!  Ki has been falling asleep on his own at night time really well, actually too well if you ask Michael, because Ki goes to bed at seven, Michael would like a little more time with him.  Nap times for Ki are a little rougher - he still takes two naps a day.  The first nap is usually around 9 or 9:30 and lasts for about forty minutes.  The second nap is around 1 or 1:30 and lasts for an hour maybe a little more. 
I have to say I am very proud of the boys though in their quick learning that they need to fall asleep on their own!  I am also happy because it has allowed me a little more down time.  I actually get to eat lunch and have a little time to myself in the middle of the day, which all moms know that sometimes naps are more for ourselves then for our children! ; -)